False alarm for smoking Sunbus
2pm: THE failure of an air-conditioning compressor was to believed to be responsible for a scare on a Sunbus at Smithfield just after 1pm today.
No passengers were aboard the bus when it started producing smoke while parked at the James Cook University bus depot.
Fire crews attended with initial concerns it was another fire incident, following two so far this year, but Smithfield station officer Greg Strettles said they performed an inspection of the vehicle and quickly identified the issue.
“All it was, an air-conditioning compressor had failed mechanically,” he said.
“The Sunbus mechanic was there and a few others from the company.
“There were no passengers on board at the time.”
NEW CAIRNS.COM.AU COMMENT POLICY
We welcome your comments on this story. Comments are submitted for possible publication on the condition that they may be edited. Comments submitted without a full name and suburb/location will not be considered for publication. Please read our full comment policy and publication guidelines.