Deadly snakes hatch in boy's bedroom
A TOWNSVILLE boy found a nest of eggs in his yard and took them into his bedroom only to have them later hatch into one of the world's most venomous snakes.
Kyle Cumming's mother, Donna Sim, received the shock of her life when she went to open her three-year-old son's bedroom wardrobe on Monday.
Inside was a takeaway container seething with seven baby snakes, later identified to be eastern brown snakes regarded as the world's second deadliest species behind the inland taipan.
Kyle had found the eggs in his Nome yard several weeks ago and asked his mum for a container to place them into.
Ms Sim said she didn't think any more of it until she discovered the container in her son's wardrobe, full of hatchlings.
Fortunately Kyle had clamped the lid of the container down firmly, and the snakes had not yet grown large enough to push it off and escape.
"I was pretty shocked, particularly because I don't like snakes," Ms Sim said.
She and her son took the container to nearby Billabong Sanctuary, where rangers contacted local wildlife carers to retrieve the reptiles and release them back into the wild.
It was the first time Kyle had ever picked up eggs in the wild but his elder sister Shannon Sim, 22, said her brother loved all animals, and particularly enjoyed following the adventures of one of his heroes, survival expert Bear Grylls.
Kyle has since been given a stiff talking to about the dangers of picking up snakes.
His family keeps redclaw crayfish, chickens and a pig as pets on their 1.2ha property.
"He's always out in the yard, he always loves playing out there," Shannon said.
"He's a real country boy.
"He was a bit sorry to see them go. He wanted to keep them."
Eastern brown snakes are extremely aggressive, with their venom responsible for most lethal snake bites recorded in Australia.
North Queensland Wildlife Care reptile co-ordinator Trish Prendergast said Kyle was incredibly lucky he did not get bitten.
"He is extremely lucky that his mother found them before he opened up the container and played with them," she said.
"Otherwise he may not be with us today."
NEW CAIRNS.COM.AU COMMENT POLICY
We welcome your comments on this story. Comments are submitted for possible publication on the condition that they may be edited. Comments submitted without a full name and suburb/location will not be considered for publication. Please read our full comment policy and publication guidelines.
Share this article
Reptile shock: Kyle Cumming's love of animals nearly backfired when his backyard find turned out to be the second deadliest species of snake in the world. Inset: A deadly brown.