Vehicles smashed as man runs amok in Cairns
A YOUNG man who allegedly went on a violent rampage through Bungalow, smashing seven cars with a timber post, told police he did it because he'd been "having a bad day".
The 18-year-old from Saibai Island had allegedly been involved in an argument with another man before he picked up the four-by-two post and hit vehicles on both sides of Draper St about 5.30am.
Police labelled the incident "senseless" and residents have been left fuming, with many facing several weeks without their cars and damage bills expected to run into thousands of dollars.
Andrew Smith had left for work about 4am, but was driving back along his street a few hours later and saw the damage.
He said his partner Banie Kim was left cowering inside their house as the man allegedly violently attacked each of the cars.
"Banie was really upset and thrown aback," he said.
"She heard it all going on, but was a bit scared to come out. She's still a bit shaken."
Mr Smith said he had seen television reports yesterday ontwo tradesmen whose cars had been stolen and burnt and could now understand how they felt.
"And there's another five families up the road who are going through the same thing as me."
Cairns district duty officer Senior Sergeant Dion Readman said police would be asking for restitution for the victims to repair the damage.
"There was no sense to the offence," he said.
A man was arrested at the scene and charged about 1pm yesterday. He was granted bail and will appear in Cairns Magistrates Court on February 6.
NEW CAIRNS.COM.AU COMMENT POLICY
We welcome your comments on this story. Comments are submitted for possible publication on the condition that they may be edited. Comments submitted without a full name and suburb/location will not be considered for publication. Please read our full comment policy and publication guidelines.
Share this article
Warning sign: Andrew Smith displays his anger at the senseless destruction. Picture: BRENDAN FRANCIS